Day 1

I've decided to start my journey back to health - overall health - in November.  You're probably thinking I'm crazy, and you're not alone - I think I'm crazy too.  As an American, this is probably the worst month to start this journey.  You've got Thanksgiving, then Christmas.  All. That. Food. and drink.

But bear with me.

This isn't my diet journey.  This isn't necessarily about losing weight.  This is about getting back in touch with myself after a few years of mental fuckery, and finding a way to really respect and love this body I'm in.  Not getting any younger, so if it isn't now, then it will be substantially harder as we go along this thing called life.

This is about becoming more selfish. This is not a flowery blog where you'll find all this beautiful self-fulfillment crap with a side of kombucha (who can drink that?)  This is about me giving the finger to self-doubt, to feeling guilty about taking time out for myself instead of spending it on kids/work/husband/housework/grocery shopping.  By taking these next few months to refocus and recenter my energy, I hope to:
  • Become happier overall
  • Become a better mom with more energy (and hopefully more patience for shenanigans) 
  • Gain efficiency at work (personally happy employees are more productive in the work place!)
Oh, but I didn't introduce myself.  I'm Erin and I work in a mega company in HR (go ahead and stalk me on LinkedIn - I know you're on your way).  I live in Paris and have lived here off and on for almost 10 years.  I got two kiddos - both boys. I married a Frenchie.

Living in Paris is a death trap for healthy.  You can't walk around a corner without seeing some flaky, buttery pastry.  There's lots of wine here and someones gotta drink it.  There are just too many restaurants to try.

But it can also be a great place for healthy.  You can walk everywhere.  The produce is glorious to the point where companies will charge you 250 euros to take you out to a market so you can take pictures and then learn to actually cook it so that your IG will be ballin'.  We are starting to get a lot more vegan, dairy-free, vegetarian options in the grocery stores and on the restaurant scene.  And it seems like gyms became a thing in the three years where I lived in South Africa.

Anyhow, enough of that.  Here's what is on the agenda for November:
  • Do a health summary : where am I starting from?  This will require seeing a nutritionist and doctor to understand what my health is like in general.
  • Meal prep 2 meals for the week + 1 snack, every week
  • Don't let people force me into an overboard Thanksgiving.
  • Go to the gym for an early morning workout 1 day a week
  • Drink 1,5 liters of water every day
  • Go to bed earlier every day
  • Stop Facebook, Twitter (I'm keeping IG because I love photography)
Doesn't sound too bad, hey?

Comments